Why Does My Washing Machine Smell and How To Clean It
Do you ever smell a foul odor when you’re doing your laundry? That smell is likely coming from your washing machine. And while it might not be the most pleasant thing in the world, there are ways to clean a stinky washing machine and get rid of that foul odor for good.
Causes of Washing Machine Odor
Foul odor in my washing machine? Machine odor can be caused by a number of things, including:
- Not cleaning the machine regularly
One of the most common causes of machine odor is a build-up of dirt, detergent and fabric softener in the washing machine. Over time, this can create a foul-smelling environment that will make your clothes smell bad too.
- Washing dirty clothes
If you’re washing extra smelly clothes in your machine, they’re going to come out smelling bad. Be sure to sort your laundry before washing it so that you’re not mixing overly dirty and daily wear clothes together. Additionally, be sure to wash your clothes on the appropriate cycle for the type of fabric.
- Using too much detergent
If you use too much detergent in your machine, it can leave behind a soapy residue that will eventually start to stink. Be sure to read the instructions on your detergent and only use the recommended amount.
How to Clean a Stinky Washing Machine
Now that you know some of the common causes of machine odor, let’s talk about how to clean a stinky washing machine. The good news is that it’s relatively easy to do and only takes a few minutes. Here’s what you need to do:
- Run an empty cycle: The first thing you need to do is run an empty cycle on your machine. This will help to remove any dirt or residue that’s been built up inside the washing machine. In addition, be sure to use hot water as this will help to kill any bacteria that may be present.
- Clean the detergent drawer: The next thing you need to do is clean the detergent drawer. This is where a lot of the build-up can occur, so it’s important to make sure it’s clean. You can do this by removing the drawer and washing it with hot soapy water.
- Wipe down the door seal: The door seal is another area where dirt and build-up can occur. Be sure to wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove any debris that may be present.
- Leave the door open: After you’ve cleaned the machine, be sure to leave the door open so that it can air out. This will help to prevent any future odors from occurring.
If you’re dealing with a foul odor in your washing machine, don’t despair. There are several things you can do to clean it and get rid of the bad smell. Be sure to follow the above tips, and your machine will smell fresh and clean in no time. If your washing machine needs repair, check out Crews Appliance Repair. We specialize in washing machine repair and can help get your machine back up and running in no time. Give us a call today.
Categorised in: Appliance Cleaning, Washing Machine
This post was written by admin