Your refrigerator is undoubtedly one of the most important appliances in your kitchen—if not your whole house! Without one, your milk would go sour, food would spoil and you’d have to order takeout for every meal. Though they are built to last, fridges can break down and require refrigerator repair in St. Peters, MO. Continue reading to learn why refrigerators stop working, and how you can prevent it:
- Old age:Depending on your fridge’s make, model, size and usage, it can last anywhere from 10 to 20 years. Just like with any equipment in your home, it’s more likely to break down after it reaches a certain age. If your fridge is getting up there in years, it might be time to think about replacing it with a new model.
- Over-stuffing: Your refrigerator is only meant to store so much food at one time. Too many groceries put extra stress on the compressor motor, which, as you’ll read below, leads to faster breakdowns.
- Compressor motor problems:Your compressor motor can break down for one of two reasons. The first has to do with old age, and the second is caused by over-stuffing. A broken compressor motor means your fridge won’t stay cold, and your food could spoil.
- Refrigerant leakage: Speaking of not cooling, sometimes the refrigerant agent used to keep your unit cool can spring a leak. The only way to fix this problem is to call a technician for refrigerator repair in St. Peters, MO. Your repairman will plug the source of the leakage and then refill your fridge with the right refrigerant.
How can I prevent refrigerator issues?
The good news when it comes to breakdowns is that they can be pretty easy to prevent! Follow this advice and your fridge should last for years and years:
- Never overload it: As we mentioned above, overloading your fridge can cause major issues. Consult your owner’s manual to learn more about how many items your fridge can handle at once. When in doubt, store fewer items than you think it can handle.
- Clean the coils:The cooling coils located behind your fridge keep refrigerant circulating through the unit, and they need a little TLC every once in a while. Make a habit of cleaning the coils with a brush to get rid of all the hair and debris that piles up behind your fridge. Don’t want to clean it yourself? Then just call our team! We can quickly clean your coils and ensure your fridge is running to the best of its abilities.
- Set the right temperature:Cranking your fridge to the lowest temperature setting might seem like the best way to keep your food and drinks fresh, but that’s not the case! Turning the temperature down too low puts extra stress on your appliance, which increases the chance of breakdowns. Again, your owner’s manual will tell you the right temperature for your fridge and freezer.
Be sure to call our team at Crews Appliance Repair if your fridge does happen to break down. Our fast service and fair prices make us number one when it comes to refrigerator repair in St. Peters, MO.
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by Writer